Thought Leadership

forrester_SM_1204_blog_002

Subscribe to our blog

Your email:

Connect with Ness

Software Engineering Services Blog

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

Survey Finds IT Confident It Can Recover from Cloud Data Loss

  
  
  
Attitudes toward cloud computing are changing.A new survey (requires registration) found that a surprisingly large number of IT pros believe they could recover from a data loss in the cloud. This would seem to buck conventional wisdom that data loss in the cloud is a trickier proposition.

When asked how confident are they were in their organization’s ability to recover data from a data loss in the cloud, surprisingly, 48 percent of survey respondents answered somewhat confident with 23 percent very confident. Put that together and a whopping 71 percent are feeling pretty good about their cloud data-recovery prospects.

To say that's surprising would be a huge understatement. I go to a fair number of conferences, and I see lots of unease around cloud computing and storage with loss of control over the company's data being a chief concern. IT pros live in fear that there will be a data loss and they will be helpless to get it back because it's in the cloud on a vendor's servers. This data suggest a shift in attitudes, at least on its face.

Perhaps the surprising responses has something to with the make-up of the respondent group. Thirty-eight percent reported they had no cloud storage or had none but were considering it. That's a significant percentage who are not involved. On the other end of the spectrum, 10 percent of respondents reported that 75-100 percent of their storage is in the cloud with another 15 percent reporting 50-74 percent.

The survey was conducted by Kroll Ontrak, a company that produces solutions for data recovery, eDiscovery and information management. As always with a vendor survey, it's important to understand the context of the data in relation to their products and services.

Looking at it through that filter, it's not surprising that the survey found that data loss was fairly common with 49 percent reporting some loss in the last year. What you might find unexpected, however, was that when asked about data loss, the majority of people had lost data in-house, not the cloud. Only 3 percent reported pure cloud data loss with another 16 percent reporting a loss in a cloud storage-virtualization hybrid environment. Meanwhile 55 percent reported data loss in traditional, on-premises storage.

The survey was conducted between April and June of this year, and involved querying 367 IT Pros who were participants at VMWare Forums held across the world. There wasn't a breakdown by role, company size or company type.

It's difficult to know if this survey represented an aberration or if it marks a shift in attitudes toward the cloud. It seems a bit abrupt if it is. That's why, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from one survey, but this one certainly presented some interesting results to mull over as we continue the shift to cloud computing.
blog comments powered by Disqus