Subscribe to our blog
Connect with Ness
Posts by popularity
The Two Agile Programming Metrics that Matter
Gartner Hype Cycle Report Predicts HTML5 Still Years Away
Microsoft getting squeezed between Chromebook and iPad
Facebook Abandoned HTML5 -- Should You?
Browser vs. App Argument Is A Non-starter
Study Finds Freemium Model Generates Big App Store Revenue
Flash May Not Be Dead, But It's Not Feeling Well
Metro Doesn't Mean the Immediate Death of .NET
O'Reilly: Future is about data, not software algorithms
Adobe is Being Disingenuous with Flex Developers
Browse by Tag
adaptive agile (6)
app development (73)
application development (40)
augmented reality (2)
best practices (24)
Big Data (20)
business agility (6)
business intelligence (4)
career development (1)
chief technology officer (2)
cloud adoption (26)
cloud computing (84)
cloud security (14)
collaborative technology (3)
content management (1)
content platform (1)
education technology (8)
Engineering effectiveness (11)
Enterprise IT (46)
Friday 5 (36)
global software development (13)
information security (3)
open source (32)
performance improvement (6)
product development (7)
social analytics (1)
Software as a service (6)
software development (68)
staff retention (3)
technology market segmentation (2)
test automation (3)
travel industry (17)
travel technology (19)
web development (5)
Software Engineering Services Blog
Apps Growing in Popularity and Importance
Posted on Thu, Nov 03, 2011
A new survey by Pew Research Center
found that fully half of adult cell phone owners had apps on their phones. Add that to
recent research from Nielsen
that found that 62 percent of cell phone owners between 25 and 34 own smart phones and you're starting to see that if you're not in the app game, you might be missing a great opportunity for your organization to connect to a wide range of desirable users.
The Nielsen survey found that while the percentage of smart phones went down the older the demographic, it was still significant with the 35-44 range at around 54 percent and the the 45-54 range at 39 percent.
While the Pew study found only 10 percent of adults owned tablets, 75 percent of those people who do, downloaded apps. I'm wondering what the heck the other 25 percent are doing. Both these numbers seem a little light to me, but whatever the actual percentages, it's clear that apps are gaining in significance and this is only likely to increase over time.
As a company, you need to look at this as a way to reach employees and how they live and work. It's clear that consumerization has reached new levels when
s that IBM has announced it is encouraging employees to bring in their own smart phones and tablets to work and they expect more than 100,000 employees will be doing just that by the end of this year.
And it's not just employees, it's a new way to reach customers too on the go, wherever they are in real time. As companies look for new ways to communicate with audiences, especially the younger age ranges, it's increasingly apparent that younger people are ignoring traditional communication through print and TV advertising. Even the PC, it would seem is beginning to take a back seat to mobile devices.
All of this shows the way we compute and consume media is shifting quickly and companies need to be changing with it. The problem is that most IT shops move much more slowly than outside trends suggest. That means that you might lack the expertise in-house to develop apps across devices and operating systems.
When you see an opportunity like this one to find new ways to attract younger workers to your company and to find new ways to interact with your customers, you should embrace it and not wait for the competitive landscape to shift under your feet.
Don't be afraid to to seek help from an outside source to help you make that transition to a new way of doing things. As these research firms have clearly shown, apps are gaining in popularity and your company needs to start developing them to keep up with this trend or risk getting left in the dust.
blog comments powered by
Error sending email
Email sent successfully
Email To :
Your name :
Message : (maximum 200 characters)
© 2013 www.ness.com